Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wine Wedding Part 1: The Prologue

Some of you may remember that earlier this summer, I attended the bachelorette party of a good friend of mine from college, Sally. This past Labor Day weekend, we attended the wedding in Brewster, MA. Now, being a "local" for pretty much my entire life, I was wary of going down to Cape Cod for Labor Day weekend, which is a trafficky, touristy nightmare for someone who grew up in the area. I had visions of a one-eyed, long-haired, bearded, old man warning me "Stay away from the Cape, my girl. Stay away from the CAPE." But, Sally is one of my oldest and dearest friends, and there was no way I was missing her wedding.

As an "honorary member of the wedding party", I got to stay at the Captain Heman Smith House in Orleans, which is affectionately termed "the compound". I'm not being a Kennedy Wannabe. That's really what it's called. My friends, Patrick, Julia, Becky, and new friend, Tara (who became my fellow wedding crasher in a story that's yet to be told) were staying in the Cove House. This was the amazing view from our living room:




This was where I was sleeping:




That's a twin bed, and as one of the groomsmen exclaimed when he was being given a tour of the house, it smelled like "camp" in there. [Note: It's time to get real...I have major issues. One of them: I have trouble sleeping when I'm not in my own bed. As a result, I did not spend my first night in the Cove House. But, more about that later.]

Pat, Julia and I all drove down together. We arrived at the Cape at 10:30, where Becky was there to greet us. The four of us went to an unexciting breakfast and headed back to the house. If you'll remember from the bachelorette party, we went to this amazing winery called Croteaux. Sally had a bottle of Croteaux wine waiting for each of us in the fridge of the house! This is what they looked like by two p.m.




(We weren't inconsiderate enough to actually drink Tara's wine before she got there, but we wanted her to be part of the group.) Yes, we were off to a good start! Tune in next time to hear about the rehearsal dinner, our night in Orleans, the story of how Melly J. did not sleep at the Cove House and Becky and Pat's "run in with the cops".

No comments:

Post a Comment